Monday, September 27, 2010

Witch Child


Each year Mrs. Lefler's U.S. History classes read historical fiction novels. I decided I needed to read more of these books. One of the more popular selections for 1st term has been Witch Child by Celia Rees.

Mary has been raised by her grandmother in England. The story begins with her watching the witch trial and execution of her grandmother. A mysterious lady appears who whisks her away and provides means for Mary's escape. Mary joins a religious group traveling to America. Luckily Mary finds a friend in Martha who is a widow. There are a lot of problems on their sea journey and whisperings begin about a witch on board.

The group arrives in Salem and eventually journeys into the wilderness. Mary tries to avoid drawing attention to herself, but she befriends an Indian and enjoys going to the forest to gather herbs and plants for Martha and Jonah, both healers. The preacher's wife talks to Mary one day. She explains that her husband saved her from being exectued as a witch. "I changed. [She explains]. You can do the same!" "What if I can't?" [Mary asks.] "Then the Lord have mercy upon you." Later Mary falls under suspicion when strange events and sightings occur. Will Mary's friends be able to save her or will she be branded as a witch?

This is an interesting novel that will help you understand this time period better. I recommend it to anyone who is curious about the early American era of witch trials.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds great! can't wait to read it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw this book it looked creepy. Now I might read it for my term book in History.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very interesting... sounds weird, maybe a little too weird for me. Just from the cover, it was a little creepy. But u had a great book review. I liked all the detail that u did in the review. I will read it, sounds interesting

    ReplyDelete