Thursday, February 23, 2012

Turtle in Paradise

The author of this book is Jennifer L. Holm. It's a mystery genre and it's very exiting. Turtle moves to her aunt's house in Florida and she has some strange boy cousins. She gets into the boys' gang with their neighbor named Pork Chop. They are called The Diaper Gang, and they go out in search for treasure. I think that this book was a very interesting book, I couldn't stop reading it. Some of the things that I like about this book is that it got more and more mysterious when you read deeper into the book. But some of the things I don't like about this book is that it talks about one thing for one or two chapters when it could be summarized into a short paragraph.

I think that the beach is awesome and i think that it would be fun to go treasure hunting. Here is a quote that I thought was cool, "Life isn't like the movies and 11-year-old Turtle is no Shirley Temple. She's smart and tough and has seen enough of the world not  to expect a Hollywood ending. After all, it's 1935 and money and sometimes even dreams are scarce. So when Turtle's Mother gets a job housekeeping for a lady who doesn't like kids, Turtle says goodbye and heads off to Florida to live with reatives. Florida's like nothing Turtle's ever seen bofore though. It's full of rag tag boy cousins, family secrets to unravel...and even a little bit of fun. Before she knows what's happened, Turtle finds herself comeing out of her shell and as she does, her world opens up in the most unexpected ways." 

4 comments:

  1. This book got a lot of great reviews, but I haven't taken the opportunity to read it. It kind of surprised me that it's historical fiction, however searching for a treasure is always exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always dreamed of gong to Florida! I will be sure to add this to my must read list! this sounds like a great book. The name of their gang reminds me of Rodricks band The Loaded Diaper, in the second cook of diary of a whimpy kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would like this book. I would have to agree I wouldn't like it dragging on. However, I absolutely love mysterious books like that. Life happens in extraordinary ways like that. It might be dreadful some days, but that will always result in something better(that is what I have always heard). Florida is a beautiful place. I have fantasized about going on a treasure hunt there I have to admit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely going to read this book! It sounds really good! I am not one to love a book that drags on, but I think I can live through it! :) I think I am really going to like this book!

    ReplyDelete