Friday, February 3, 2012

Matched



“Every minute you spend with someone gives them a part of your life and takes part of theirs.” 
― Ally CondieMatched

Ally Condie's novel matched, (book one of the Matched trilogy) is about a seventeen year old girl named Cassia Reyes.  Cassia lives in a world where the society (government) has perfected every possible way of living a perfect life.  They give specific meal portions to each individual and everyone is assigned a specific occupation.  The society has strict rules; for example, no running in public, no owning a vehicle, only two hours of leisure time a day, no owning jewelry, and no one learns how to write, etc.  However, the one requirement that effects Cassia's life the most, is the match banquet.  Every year, everyone who is at the rightful age of seventeen, must attend the Match banquet. At this banquet, each girl and boy are matched to who is most like them and who is most likely to fall in love with them. They will spend the rest of their lives together with whoever their matched to. Cassia is overwhelmed when she is matched to her best friend Xander.  Nothing has happened like this in years but she does not mind at all.  She loves Xander.  What she does not know, is everything in her life will change later that night when she looks at her micro-card of Xander.  A picture of Ky Markham, a childhood friend, shows up on the screen.  Is she matched to Xander, or Ky?  Does anyone know about this?  Was all of this just a mistake?  Will she choose to find out about Ky's mysterious past?  Which will she choose and what events will take place?  Find out for yourself in this mind-grabbing novel.  

When I first read this book, I could not put it down.  It gives a message that everyone can stand up for what they believe in, and each person should be given the right to choose who they love.  I recommend this book to anyone who likes adventure and stories that talk about rebellion.  Of course there is romance in this book also. :) Whoever you are, I think you should read it!



5 comments:

  1. This series has slowly picked up steam, as far as popularity here at Timberline. I have enjoyed both Matched and Crossed. I think the cover is really great. It really captures what the book is about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your summary of the book made me want to read this! It sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard so much about this book. Everyone tells me how great it is. I want to read it really soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds really good. I love these kind of books. A lot of people have read it and they say it is really good. I started to and then i never finished it. Now this is making me want to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been wanting to read this book for awhile, but I didn't know exactly what it was about. I have heard some people compare it to the "Hunger Games", and the series "Uglies" (in a good way of course). Thanks for the review, you definitely convinced me to read it! And very well written by the way.

    ReplyDelete