Thursday, February 9, 2012

Double Identity


“A thousand times today I've started to open my mouth, started to squeak out, "Can you tell me...? But then I'd look into the front seat, at my mother's silent shaking, my father's grim profile, the mournful bags under his eyes, and all the questions I might ask seemed abusive. Assault and battery, a question mark used like a club. My parents are old and fragile. I'd have to heartless to want to hurt them.” 
― 
Margaret Peterson HaddixDouble Identity
Margaret Peterson Haddix is an amazing writer. This book is intense and not like any ordinary book you would read. Bethany a thirteen year old girl is suddenly dropped off at her aunts house that she never even knew existed. Leaving her mom crying uncontrollably and her dad very angry she walks with her aunt inside. Her dad tells her he will call her as soon as he can, but soon for her father takes a couple of weeks. Bethany has no idea why her parents did this to her. A couple of months later her mother calls and tells Bethany some very interesting news Bethany wasn't supposed to hear. Bethany's aunt Merlin then has to explain what the phone call is all about and that is when things start to change. She finds out that she has an older sister (well you could say it was her sister) who died in a car crash a couple of years back and receives a package from her father containing four birth certificates and ten thousand dollars. After that everything starts making sense to Bethany. Everything plays out and she goes through a few more adventures learning more about her "sister". That involves meeting her older "sister" Elizabeth's best friend Joss. I can't tell you how the story ends but it was good. 
The setting is mainly at her aunt Merlin's house. This is where Bethany gets all of the information she never knew before. Her aunt Merlin's house is an older one. Bethany actually ends up sleeping in her mother's old room that she had when she was little. Haddix (author) describes the setting in very good words that makes you able to picture everything very well. I am a person who can't picture things very well and this book was very easy to picture. 
I would reccomend this book it is very thrilling how everything in Bethany's life changes when she founds out she has a "sister". It is a pretty easy read to, so it is worth reading it. This book always had me guessing what was going to happen next, but i was always pleasantly surprised when it came out a different way. I loved reading Double Identity!!

3 comments:

  1. Haddix is a great author, but I haven't actually noticed this one before. I like suspense/mystery type novels, so this sounds like an interesting plot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They say never judge a book by its cover, but I already want to read it just looking at the cover. I can already tell this book is full of excitement and mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard about this book before and have heard it is really good. This book seams like it is full of mystery and things you would not expect. It looks like a good book to read.

    ReplyDelete