Monday, December 9, 2013

Flipped

Wendelin Van Draanen's book Flipped charmed me with its unique perspective. This book is well written with a two sided view on young romance.
"The room fell quiet. And as I read down the list of over one hundred and fifty eight-grade boys, I realized that to me, there had only ever been one boy."

This book is about Bryce Loski and Juli Baker. It alternates from Bryce's point of view, to Juli's. One of the reasons I like this book is both of them are describing the same events. They are in the same places at the same time and they see everything completely different from each other. Bryce met Juli at the very beginning of the book. He was helping his dad unload his stuff, and she decided to help. Bryce could tell that Juli really liked him, but it he never liked her back. Juli liked to smell his hair and she gave him the answers on his spelling tests. Bryce still doesn't like her until they get to middle school. Their relationship gets flipped upside down.

Bryce and Juli go to the same school, they are in the same grade, they ride the same bus, and they live on the same street. Though they have their differences. Bryce has blue eyes and brown hair. He always wants to make everyone happy. Which is sometimes difficult.

Juli has brown eyes and long brown hair. Her dad likes to have long, thoughtful talks with him. She loves to climb the sycamore tree at her bus stop. Surprisingly, this tree plays a pretty big role in the book.

I really enjoyed this book because it had such a satisfying ending. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a romantic comedy.

2 comments:

  1. I read this book last year, and I think it is so good. It makes me happy. This was a really good review too, I loved how you put everything together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting I love to read books with two points of view, because you know what they're both thinking.

    ReplyDelete