Friday, April 20, 2012

So B It.


“There are some things in life a person just cant know” 
"Mama only had 23 words."

Week's So B. It hooked me with its heartwarming and surprise shocking story. 

Heidi a 12 year old girl who lives with a mentally disabled mother and her neighbor Bernadette doesn't know anything about her mothers past. She is determined to find out. Along with that her mother developed a new word from the 22 words she knew... soof..... Heidi has no idea what it means.  
When Heidi finds a picture hidden deep in the closet she soon discovers that her mother is in the picture. Along with one other lady, wearing a red sweater that Heidi has had for years. Heidi is soon on her way up to Liberty to find out the true past of her mother. 
Will Heidi ever make it to Liberty? Will she find out what has happened to her mother? Who is the lady in the picture? What is soof? 
You will have to read the book and find it all out!

Characters: Weeks definetly makes the characters very real. What I like about her writing in the book is how she describes the characters with there personalities it makes it totally believable.
Heidi: She seems to question everything about what really happened to her and her mom. 
“If truth were a crayon and it was up to me to put a wrapper on it and name it's color, I know just what I would call it-dinosaur skin.”
Bernadette: She is very giving and encouraging. She gives Heidi lots of confidence and is always there to help her and her mom when needed. 
“You go Picasso!” 
Heidi's mother:She is mentally handicapped and only knows 23 words. She isn't really able to communicate what she wants or needs. A lot of the times when Heidi will ask her a question about her past her mom will say "Tea Heidi, tea?" 

I absoulutley loved this book! It didn't take that long to get into. The book seemed really real to me. Sarah Weeks is such a great author in this book. 
I would reccomend this to middle school aged students. I think that they will be able to relate more to it that adults or little kids could. 

Great Book!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very unique story, I can't imagine what it would be like not knowing anything about your mom, and not being able to ask her. I really liked your summary of the book; definitely made me want to read it and find out what happens. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this book, and I was really intrigued by your description. If a person is that disabled I wonder why she has a daughter in the first place. It would be quite a challenge to grow up with a parent like that

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds really neat. I was about to read this book but for some reason I remember that I didn't ever read it. Reading this review makes me want to read it! Good review!

    ReplyDelete