Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Icefall



"And how I fear that day, for I know that when I look into my betrayer's face, I will see someone I thought I knew.  And I will still love them."-Solveig


Matthew J. Kirby's book Icefall tells a great story about a girl named Solveig.  Solveig is a princess, but her life is anything but rich.  She isn't beautiful like her older sister and she isn't going to be a brave strong king like her younger brother.  She feels like no one cares about her.  Her older sister's name is Asa and her younger brother is called Harald.  Their country is at war because a creepy old king wants to marry Asa, but their father the king does not allow it.  Solveig's father sends her and her siblings to an island with warriors called Berserkers (viking warriers) to keep them safe and unharmed.  The only problem with her father's plan is that there is a traitor among them, and no one knows who it is.  Will they all make it through the winter alive?  Will the traitor kill someone in the middle of the night?  Will they have enough food?  These are some of the questions that run through Solveig's head during the long winter months.  Solveig finds out who her real friends are and who the real enemy was all along.
I think the theme of this book is about finding out who you really are, doing what you like to do, and to not care what other people think.  I also think it is about realizing that what others have might seem good to you, but it is really a burden to others.  For example, in the book Solveig's older sister Asa is very pretty.  Solveig thinks her sister is lucky, but really her sister hates being beautiful because she believes that the war is her fault. 
I think this is a really good book.  It had a great life lesson story.  It isn't my favorite book though.  It was kind of slow in the beginning.  I would recommend this book to readers who like historical books because it takes place during the time of vikings and kings and queens.     

7 comments:

  1. This has a pretty cool cover, but after reading your summary I'm wondering how it fits into the story. Is that the princess Solveig or somebody defending her? I usually enjoy these this type of book, but the author really has to interest you from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first read that this story was about a princess I immediately thought of another Cinderella story but when i kept on reading i figured out that it wasn't like it. This sounds like a good book but i don't like historical books so i don't know if i would like this one. Maybe i will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds interesting! I really enjoy the life lesson you thought it was about. Many people don't really know themselves. Might read it sometime! This time I will know it is slow in the beginning so I will keep going and reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked the quote at the beginning it caught my attention and made me want to keep reading. The cover is also really cool! I like that instead of giving away the ending you asked questions and made me wonder what was going to happen.:) god job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that sounded like it is a really good book. It sounds interesting to me because of the vikings and kings and stuff. I love stuff in that period of time because the vikings were just weird and adventurous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds like a book that would grab my attention and keep me reading for the whole book. I like books that have adventure in them and a little action. Good review good job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book sounds very interesting. I would really like to read this book now. I love how you tell me so many good details. This book looks like a adventurous book to me. I love how in this period in time there are vikings because I love vikings. Thank you so much for posting this book review, it was great!

    ReplyDelete