Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Daughter of Xanadu


Princess Emmajin lives in 13th century China under the rule of her grandfather the Great Khan Khubilai. She loves to practice archery, and other skills befitting a warrior, with her boy cousins. Her greatest wish is to join the army. While at the summer palace of Xanadu, the Khan assigns Emmajin to learn all she can from Marco Polo and the lands of Christendom. Despite an initial distrust of foreigners, Emmajin finds herself growing to like Marco. She performs her task so well that the Khan allows her to join the army on the expedition to Burma.

"I wished Marco could see me outfitted as a soldier. He had returned to Khanbalik....Thinking of Marco made my heart hurt. I wished I had been able to say a proper good-bye."

Will Emmajin see Marco again, and will fighting with the army be everything she wanted? Read the book to find out.

At first this story reminded me of Mulan. Someone who likes to read about a strong, adventurous heroine with a bit of romance will enjoy this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment