Monday, October 21, 2013


"The Invention of Hugo Cabret"
by: Brian Selznick

This book is about a boy named Hugo Cabret who lives in Paris, France, and his father owns a clock repairing business. Hugo loves learning and learns a lot watching his father repair clocks, but one day his father returns home telling Hugo about something Hugo has never heard of before, An automaton! the automaton is something that his father had found in the attic of a museum,it winds up and then it writes a message. But it's broken. So Hugo's father tries to fix it, over the weeks of trying to fix the automaton, he builds an obsession over the automaton so he works on it all night. And during the day Hugo's father works at the clock shop. One night a fire starts in the museum and blazes into the attic, with no way to escape, Hugo's father is engulfed in the flames.
 Hugo, later finds out his father was killed in the museum fire, so he finds the museum and looks for the automaton. He finds it and keeps it. He is adopted by his uncle and taken to his uncles apartment above the train station. His uncle keeps the clocks in the station working. Hugo watches his uncle lubricate the clocks and soon, Hugo becomes his uncles apprentice. Hugo's uncle randomly disappears and so Hugo starts to work on the automaton. He steels little machanacle parts to work on the automaton from a toy booth in the train station. He gets caught and sooner or later meets a girl name Isabelle. The old man who owns the toy booth is Isabelle's godfather. Hugo completes the automaton then realizes that he need a key to wind it up. Then, he notices that his friend has a necklace with a key on it, and he knows instantly that the key on Isabelle's necklace, will fit perfectly. So he steels it to wind up the automaton.
 In his uncles apartment, Hugo winds up the automaton just as Isabelle bursts into his apartment and interrogates his about steeling he key. then they wind up the automaton and it draws a picture. Later they find out that the old man at the toy booth (Isabelle's godfather) was a famous movie director. Who made many movies before world war two.
I think that just about everyone would like it. it has a lot of things about it that makes you want to keep reading. I loved this book a lot. and its not very long, it just has tons of impressive pictures. I connect with the book because it had a lot of little hints that I would recognize.

"If you've ever wondered where dreams come from when you go to sleep at night, just look around. This is where they are made."
                                                       -Georges Melies   
 

8 comments:

  1. I think that this book would be very interesting to read, because it has a lot of the same things I like. For instance I love when something happens and because of that the main character has to do something about it. Thanks for telling me about this book I cant wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to read this book it sounds really good. I like books that are adventurous and this would be a good book for me. It is good that you liked the book and hopefully I will like it to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this book won the Caldecott Award because of the pictures, which are very different from most books. The pictures suggest shots that would be used in a movie (close-up, panning, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is very interesting. I have both seen the movie and read the book. This is a very good description of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good review. Did you read the book or watch the movie first?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That book sounds very interesting. All that work for an automaton? It sounds like a strange book, but one that I'd probably enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been wanting to read this book for a while and I am glad you wrote a review on it so I could see if I wanted to read it. Nice job on the review it was very nice and I think I will read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book sounds soo good. The summary is great and it seems like a very interesting book.

    ReplyDelete