Monday, October 14, 2013

Review by Megan Bryce
       The book "Golden" is by Cameron Dokey. I think that Cameron Dokey is a great author, she has written many other books, that I loved, but I decided to do a review on this one because it was my favorite. most of her other books are all fairy tales, but with a little twist in it. Golden would especially be a great book for any girl, because it has a little humor and romance in it.
       Golden is about a girl that is born without any hair, but her mother doesn't want her so she gives her away to a sorceress that takes care of her as a mother. The little girls name is Rapunzel, and she grew up without any friends or hair her whole childhood. "That cat is not my friend, he is an acquaintance that follows me around", she says that the cat follows her around, but she wouldn't say that he was her friend because she wanted to feel more important than that.  Later when she is about sixteen, she discovers that the sorceress that raised her had a daughter and her name was Rue. Rue was trapped in a tower because a wizard cursed her there. I don't want to ruin it for you, so I will just say that Rue and Rapunzel go through some challenges to try to break the curse.
       Rapunzel is kind of a tom boy, she doesn't like to do girly things, she usually plays in the mud and acts kind of like a boy. The Sorceress is kind, she raises Rapunzel to be kind, she only wants what is best for her daughters, and she is really powerful with her spells, but not as powerful as the wizard that locks Rue up. Rue is a very girly princess, she isn't the nicest person, but she has manners. The Story mostly takes place in the sorceresses home and the tower that Rue is trapped in.
       I really liked this book, because there was a few different kinds of genres, there is romance, adventure and humor. I would recommend this book, it is told really well and it is a great story. My opinion is that it was good, others might think it is really slow and not very good, but I liked it a lot. It is more for girls, but I could also see a guy reading it and liking it.
      


4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great twist on Rapunzel. I love fairy tales, and it makes it even better when you can put a tweek on it, I will totally read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually like retellings of fairytales, but I haven't read anything by this author yet. Whenever I hear the story of Rapunzel I wonder if it's really possible to have hair that grows that long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how the author completely changed Rapunzel but kept the story just about thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds like it has a great story! It sounds like a twist of Rapunzel, and i like that. And I am a girl so I like the idea of romance. You did a great job writing this review it really makes me want to read this book. Great job!

    ReplyDelete