Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Leviathan
By: Scott Westerfeld


Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld is a fast pace adventure book that kept me on the edge of my seat and wanting more the entire time. This book takes place in the beginning of world war one. It has historical fiction as well as steam punk attributes.

When aleks fencing teacher wakes him up in the middle of the night to do walker training, Alek is confused he has never piloted a big walker, let alone at night. In the walker his fencing teacher tells him that his mother and father were killed and they are running from their own empire to get Alek to safety.

Deryn just wants to be in the royal air navy, but there is one problem. She is a girl, she has to ware a disguise to fulfill her only dream. When she is trying out for the british royal air navy her huxley (a giant flying jelifish) breaks its ropes and starts flying away she goes on a wild ride untill the leviathan rescues her and decides to take her on their secrat mission to Istanbul

One of the quotes I enjoyed the most was Dr. Barlows at the end of the book when Alek asked her who she was and she said"I am exactly as you see me". I really liked that quote because I really feel that most of our opinions about people are not who they are but more of what we think of them.

This was definitely one of my favorite books of the summer. The pictures he created in my mind were amazing. I strongly recommend this book to anyone 8+.

4 comments:

  1. This book does have really great pictures. The genre would be steam punk because of all the cool gear-driven invention, which makes it quite unique. I've been surprised more students haven't tried this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this sounds way cool!! it really bugs me sometimes how girls are underestimated... to the point where they have to disguise themselves! I would really love to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book a little while ago and to be honest I really thought it was a well wrote book I might read it again. and i think that you did a great job on the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds interesting! I would really like to try out this book. It sounds fun to read. Great job on the review!

    ReplyDelete