Tuesday, December 16, 2014





                                                        The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing

                                                                        By: M.T. Anderson

 

      What would it be like to be a slave during the Revolutionary War, not used for work, but for science? What if you were taught Latin and Greek, mathematics, science, everything you need to know to be highly educated?
            The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing is a historical fiction book about a young African-American boy named Octavian. Octavian lives in the United States during the late 1700s and grows up in a strange house, where professors teach him everything they know. They teach him to paint, play the violin, speak different languages, science, etc. The professors continually push him to learn and constantly assess his ability to understand what he has been taught.
Octavian doesn’t find out until he is 16 years old that the people at the house are actually using his life as an experiment. These scientists are trying to prove that black people are different and not as intelligent as white people. They believe that at some point during his education, Octavian will be unable to progress and learn more. However, Octavian proves them wrong as he studies intensely and is able to do whatever they ask of him. Octavian’s situation takes a turn for the worse when the owner of the house decides to invite people with the small pox to come and stay there so they can try to cure the pox. This decision starts the beginning of Octavian’s problems.
One of my favorite quotes in this book is, “There is an expense for everything.” I think it means that nothing comes without a price and all choices have consequences. Octavian learns that the choices of other people as well as his own all have consequences. This theme connects with me because as I have grown up, I have seen the patterns in the consequences of my actions. I have started to realize that if I want a certain result, I have to make certain choices. For example, if I choose not to do my homework, the consequence will be a low grade. This book made me think more about that concept.
            The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing is an interesting book and it made me think about a life and situation that I can’t even imagine. While this book was educational and eye opening, I don’t think it would be a good book to read if you aren’t interested in Revolutionary War times. It is very long and hard to understand sometimes. However, if you are interested in historical fiction and learning about people who live in a totally different world, then this would be a very good book for you.
              -Drew Hardin

2 comments:

  1. octavian nothing seems like a good book to read. I would be mad if i found out that my life was all a big experiment. I am wondering if sense the small pox people come in if he gets small pox it seems like it does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be really mad if my whole life was just an experiment!! But hey, at least he is getting an education...

    ReplyDelete