Thursday, December 4, 2014

 
                                                                 Author Lois Lowry
                                                     Book review by Rylan Van Komen
 
          In this book The Giver the main character is Jonas he is 11. Jonas lives in this perfect society. In this society every one turns a new age on the same day the last day of the year. Jonas has one younger sister named Lily she is 7 turning 8.Jonas has two best friends Fiona and Asher which are also 11 turning 12. On the Celebration day when you turn 12 you get your job. Jonas gets a really important job Which is the receiver of memory. Jonas has to keep track of all the memories. Jonas dad job is a nurture he brings home this young boy named Gabe.
 
          This story would take place in the future. This place is a perfect society that controls everything like color, temperature, and seasons. Jonas likes to follow rules and stick to what's right. Fiona is the girl Jonas has a crush on but they are good friends and Fiona is a nice girl. Asher is Jonas best friend and loves to hangout with Jonas. Lily likes to break some rules but not a lot.
 
          My favorite quote from this book was " We gained control of many things. But we had to let go of others" By Lois Lowry. I like this quote because it is telling us we can't have everything we want. Lets say you wanted to get something new but you didn't have room you would have to get rid of one thing so you could get the other. The point is that you can never can control everything.
 
          This book was really good. I really like in this book that it showed us what it could be like if we tried to have a perfect society. I showed how awesome it is to have freedom. It also had some good clif hangers that were interesting.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 













































5 comments:

  1. I don't think that it would be a good idea to have a society that is perfectly controlled. I'm now curious to see how that would work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the one above. I'm not sure how a "perfect" society would change the world, but if you tried to make a perfect society, the world would fail.

    Written by Chase Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read this book and it is very good and very confusing. it has some elemnts of a utopian society but others are not. i would be very hard to achevi that.
    Elijah Reneer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading this book! Lois Lowry does a really great job on the personalities of his characters, and the plot of the book was well-constructed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this book in English and I think it is a really good book. Even though I hated how it ended. I don't think it would be a very fun society if everything was the same. I liked how the author described things. Really good book.

    ReplyDelete