Thursday, November 14, 2013

Moby Dick



 
By Herman Melville

Moby Dick is a book about someone named Ishmael. Ishmael goes to an inn, where he meets Queequeg. Queequeg is an experienced harpooner and Ishmael becomes his friend. The two of them decide to go on a three-year whaling voyage and head out on the Pequod, captained by captain Ahab. Ahab lost his leg to the giant sperm whale known as Moby Dick. Moby Dick is white and very big. He has sunk many ships. Captain Ahab wants revenge on the white whale, so he offers a reward for the one who can spot him first. Two whales are caught: a sperm whale, who's oil is valued, and a right whale. The Pequod meets several other boats. Then, one day, they meet someone who has recently seen Moby Dick, and are warned against going, but Ahab doesn't heed their warnings. Moby Dick is soon spotted, and the Pequod is after him.
I thought that this book was very interesting. It is very hard to understand it, but it is a very good book. This book is very exciting at times, but it can be very informative as well. It can teach you a lot about whales, I know a lot more than I used to! A quote from this book is "Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow-Death to Moby Dick!" by captain Ahab. I would recommend this book for anyone who enjoys reading suspenseful books like this.

4 comments:

  1. I'm very impressed that you read this. It's a classic that I haven't tried, yet. I think there's a lot of symbolism, so I probably would need help understanding all the deeper meanings, also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how you described the book and how you didn't just drone on about the book, how you gave information, and how you read this book. I'm also very surprised too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job reading this book! I have tried to read this book before and I just could not do it. Great information, you gave a lot of information about the book without giving it away or getting boring. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is really hard to understand. I read it once in 2nd grade, and I couldn't make heads or tails of it. I reread it recently, though and it was really good. Nice review!!

    ReplyDelete