Friday, September 20, 2013

The Help

Kathryn Stockett's book, The Help completely absorbed me with its unique perspective of the Civil Rights era.
http://a1.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/074/Video/v4/07/c8/87/07c8876c-151b-50ce-c3a9-d515912ab238/ticket.puebwtko.jpg

This book is about a white lady and two black maids in 1962 Jackson, Mississippi. In the book, white ladies barely even talk to those with darker skin, but they do hire black women as their maids. Lately though, some things have been changing. Miss Skeeter (middle in picture above) has bravely decided to interview the black maids about their jobs. Aibileen was the first black maid to be interviewed. Aibileen told Miss Skeeter many things she had never told anyone before. She talked about the little white girl she took care of, Mae Mobley, her working conditions, and other treasured information. Miss Skeeter has to keep all of this a secret or else her social life could be ruined, or worse she and all the maids could lose their jobs.

This is a story Aibileen told Mae Mobley in the book The Help.
"“Once upon a time they was two girls," I say. "one girl had black skin, one girl had white."
Mae Mobley look up at me. She listening.
"Little colored girl say to little white girl, 'How come your skin be so pale?' White girl say, 'I don't know. How come your skin be so black? What you think that mean?'
"But neither one a them little girls knew. So little white girl say, 'Well, let's see. You got hair, I got hair.'"I gives Mae Mobley a little tousle on her head.
"Little colored girl say 'I got a nose, you got a nose.'"I gives her little snout a tweak. She got to reach up and do the same to me.
"Little white girl say, 'I got toes, you got toes.' And I do the little thing with her toes, but she can't get to mine cause I got my white work shoes on.
"'So we's the same. Just a different color', say that little colored girl. The little white girl she agreed and they was friends. The End."

Baby Girl just look at me. Law, that was a sorry story if I ever heard one. Wasn't even no plot to it. But Mae Mobley, she smile and say, "Tell it again.”"

Kathryn's book shows insight, because she does not have one person narrating, but three. It is always in first person, but sometimes the story is coming from a black maid  or a rich white lady. I like that when the character switches, the voice switches too.

This book was very enjoyable, and I would definitely recommend it. If you enjoy historical fiction books, or books about the Civil Rights time period, then this is the book for you.


5 comments:

  1. This was a big book since the movie cam out and have had many people recommend it to me (even though I am a boy) and it seams like a great book. would love to see if the movie and the book are different. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Help was excellent both as a book and as a movie. It's great to read books that help you understand different perspectives and experiences. It's touching and humorous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great book! I've heard about this movie, but I didn't know it had already been a book! I love to read books that are based on someones everyday life but with a twist. I'll have to read this book sometime! Great job on your review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a good job of summarizing. I think you did a good job by describing the book. Also I thought you did a good job telling people if the book is for them or not. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a great book and movie. It was a great review, and was told very well. I have heard about the movie plenty of times, but was never really interested, now I really want to see it and read it. I love the time period of this book, it is one of my favorite time periods to read about, so I think I will really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete