Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Calico Joe


 
Calico Joe

By Marcus Smith 

This book in my opinion is a great book. Every chapter has a new meaning or theme and I think if you are reading this blog you should check it out right now.  Just to verify, this book is based off true and actual events but Joe Castle is not real baseball player. I also think you will enjoy this book because their are baseball fans out their that want to read a good baseball book. 

 “After a leisurely slide into second, Joe bounced to his feet, looked at Marichal, shrugged, smiled, and spread his arms as if to say, "You throw at me, I'll make you pay.”
John Grisham, Calico Joe

One of the ways I was connected to this book was by being a baseball player. Sometimes I get hit and I am mad on the inside but on the outside I would just shake it off. In the quote above in the last sentence it says if you throw at me I will make you pay. Sometimes I make the pitcher pay by bunting, or sliding to home without him even noticing. That is a connection that I had with the book.

Joe Castle is a baseball player for the scrappers of Calico Rock . He gets a call from the Chicago Cubs and they want him to play in a game for them that night. His first at bat he hits a home run. Pretty good for his first at bat as a rookie. The next at bat he hits another home run. The next couple games he breaks a record. Passing  up 13 for 13 which means he beat hitting thirteen consecutive hits in a row. He had 15. He is a young player with a lot of talent that is the newest baseball phenom of the seventies.

Paul Tracey, in his mind is the greatest fan of Joe Castle. Paul says that he is one of the biggest idols that he has ever had. His dad Warren Tracey, plays for the new york mets. You would think that his dad would be a great person/dad but it is the total opposite. He only thinks about himself and thinks he is the king of the world. 

One game in the Major League playoffs, the mets and the cubs were facing each other and Joe and warren were facing each other. Warren was pitcher, Joe was the batter. His first at bat he hits a home run, and the crowd goes wild. The next time Joe got up to bat it would be his last.    
  
I think this book is amazing. Most girls dont like baseball but if I think if the read this book they would really enjoy it.
 


6 comments:

  1. I would like to read this book cause I am a big baseball fan. That would be cool to get 15 hits in a row I wish I could do that. Paul Tracey made the wrong decision to do that. This sounds like a great book I love baseball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think everybody loves a good sports story. I was intrigued by your summary. It seems like Joe's career is going great then suddenly it's his last time to bat. Did he get hurt? Hmmm... I guess I'll have to read it to find the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think that this would be a good book because it is about baseball and baseball is pretty cool. And i like Paul Tracey and what he has done. so i think i need to read this book sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book review was really well written, (besides a few grammatical errors). I want to read it, even though I am a soccer player.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baseball isn't one of my favorite sports, but this is a book i would look forward to reading. I think you did a very great job on this review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your review was very nice! I don't love sports all that much but how you describe this book is interesting and makes me want to read it. Good job!

    ReplyDelete