Wednesday, September 25, 2013

“Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.” -Lemony Snicket. Series of Unfortunate Events caught my attention with it's suspense and surprises. Series of Unfortunate Events is about three orphans with a strong family fortune. Unfortunately The oldest child, Violet, doesn't get the fortune until she reaches the age of 18. The children get stuck living with one of their uncles that they have never met before. It doesn't take them long to realize that their uncle, Count Olaf, is not very nice, and is only trying to get a hold of their family fortune. He tried so many things including putting the children in danger, being able to get the fortune with being the first person on the Baudelaire parents will. The children report him many times to their care taker, Mr.Poe. After he realizes that the children are telling the truth he immediately changes their guardian. But that doesn't stop Count Olaf from getting what he wants. Throughout the thirteen books of this series The children change guardians because they have either been killed or hidden by Count Olaf.Their biggest goal is to get to live in a place Count Olaf can not get to them.

Lemony Snicket's taste in the style she wrote this book in was unbelievable. I loved how every child has something special about them. Violet loves to invent things, Klaus loves to read, and sunny, the toddler, loves biting everything in her sight. In the book The two oldest children, Violet and Klaus can understand the things that sunny says. It takes one word for her to speak and one second for them to understand the sentence that she is trying to say. That is one of the only things that annoys me. It's just not realistic. One of the things i love that the author does, is use very long distinguished words that most people can not understand. But she always comes up with a creative way to describe the meaning of the word. That seems like she cares about children being able to understand all the words being used. I think this book is a unique book. I have never seen one like it.




7 comments:

  1. These books are well-written with a lot of interesting developments, however I just found the whole premise rather depressing. It seems like nothing ever goes right for these poor kids. I enjoyed the movie that combined the first several books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you well described the book in this review. I love these type of books where it is very interesting and very mysterious even though the kids go through a lot of hard times in this series. I guess that is why they call it "A Series of Unfortunate Events"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great summary! This sounds like a great series. They must be some pretty tough kids to deal with that nasty uncle. I will definitely look into reading this series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You described this story very well, this book sounds very interesting. I can't wait to read how they handle their uncle and other problems they face. I hope I can find this book soon so I can read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! So true about Sunny, how could they figure her out so easily? I have read part of this series, but I couldn't stand how they always have the worst things happen to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this book yet, but it sounds really interesting. I don't like the sound of Count Olaf figure though. It also sounds kind of like a pity book, with three orphans that keep having bad things happen to them. Its called the series of unfortunate events for crying out loud! It does sound like they manage to tackle their problems though, with the help of Mr. Poe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks Maddie, i'm going to start reading it sometime soon. you described the book in a way that makes me want to read it.

    ReplyDelete