Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Selection

The Selection

By: Kiera Cass

“. . .true love is usually the most inconvenient kind.”


      America Singer was just your typical five. She didn't have a lot of money, she played her violin at restaurants for small amounts of cash, and she really couldn't decide her destiny. The one good thing in her life was her two year boyfriend Aspen Ledger. Nobody knew about their relationship. Technically it was against the law to be together. They knew they would have a happy future together though.  That is until the Selection came into America's life. The Selection is every girl's dream in Illea. It gives them the chance to be Prince Maxon's true love and move up castes. It could change their life forever! America only thought it ruined her chances with Aspen and she thought Prince Maxon was a boring stuck up man. She was not going to sign up! That is until Aspen said she should. America, listening to her love, signed up thinking she would be eliminated on the first day and maybe not even make it in at all. Little did she know a big future with Maxon was ahead. She is going to have to face the hard decision of choosing Prince Maxon or Aspen to love for the rest of her life. 

    The setting of this book is truly magnificent! It takes place in the palace of Illea. Kiera Cass is very good at describing it through her writing. She explains that it is very extravagant, bright, large, lonely, comforting, and full of secrets. She takes us readers to secret rooms/libraries, lavish gardens, and very formal dining halls. All of which take us through the dramatic ride known as the Selection.

    I highly recommend The Selection to any reader that loves romance with a little humor mixed into it. I love how by reading the relationships grow in this book it just makes me want to be there to tell them what to say or do! I really got involved in who I wanted with who because the characters/relationships were so well described! I also enjoyed that Cass gave me some laughs to go along with the drama and romance! I have to say that I am really rooting for Prince Maxon to win America's heart!



3 comments:

  1. I loved this book and the sequel, even if they leave you hanging. I agree I'm rooting for the Prince and I'm not really a fan of Aspen. Sorry but how manly can you be if you're named after a spindly tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen a lot of girls reading this but didn't think much about it. I didn't know what it was about, or if it was that good or not. But now I think I have to read it, as its right up my alley. I'll keep this in mind for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book, and LOVED IT. It is one of my all-time favorites. It's not just another "princess book". You've done a great job describing what it's about. It's really hard for me to describe it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete