Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Secret Journal of Brett Colton


" So whats worse? Seizing the day, knowing theres a chance your attempt could blow up in your face? or not to even try at all and always wondering whether or not something amazing would've happened if you had tried? something that might have changed your life forever- for the better."

The minute I read the back cover of this book, I was immediately intrigued by the story line. The story is told through a young girl's perspective.  She is about 16 years old and her name is Kathy.  A series of unfortunate events take place on Kathy's first day of high school.  As she is headed towards the trash can to throw away her lunch, Jason, the only known freshman quarterback since her own brother played at the school throws his food right into Kathy's new cashmere sweater.  This is just the very beginning of what starts up the worst year of her life.  Later on, Kathy finds out that she has English honors, her favorite class, with Jason. As if life couldn't get worse, Jason recommends Kathryn to be his tutor.  Kathy's parents are simply obsessed with the popular freshman quarterback, but when they find out that he is a Mormon boy, they are horrified.  Kathy analyses the way his family is so positive, happy, and giving all the time.  Soon, Kathy starts to have the slightest bit of a crush on Jason but you will have to see if it turns into something a little bigger.  The most surprising thing is when Kathy finds the journal of her older brother Brett, who died of leukemia when she was only two years old.  Brett's secret journal entries, made just for Kathy, help Kathy move on and get through one of the worst and best school years of her life.  There are SO many surprising events that take place in this book, that I can't write down much.  This book combines what it is like to go through high school, meet a Mormon, have a brother die of leukemia, go to prom, and experience anything surprising in life that is thrown your way.  I would recommend this to anyone although preferably a girl.  It is one of the most moving, fun, and best books I have ever read.


Another Amazing Quote: "If someone had asked later what words were spoken during that prayer, I couldn't have told them because of what washed over me, engulfing me completely. I honestly had never felt anything remotely like it before. Ever. The quiet, calm, peaceful power of it took me completely by surprise. I had no idea what I was feeling, but tears formed in my eyes and my heart pounded. The only feeling I could possibly relate it to was stepping from a cold room into bright sunlight, only instead of feeling warm on the outside, the warm, glowing sensation I felt was inside me. It was overwhelming."

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great book! When I was reading this post I knew I wanted to read it as soon as possible. It sounds a little depressing but I think it could possibly have a good ending to it. I am really excited to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When i read this it made me want to read the book! I love cute little stories like that. I don't really like when people have to die at the end of it so I hope that doesn't happen. You did a really good job on explaining the book and making me want to read it.

    ReplyDelete