Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Petey

By: Ben Mikaelsen
"I want you to remember something for me, will you?"-Petey

 This book is called Petey. Petey is about a boy who has a disability and goes from place to place in nursing homes for people to take care of him. He is from  Bozmen Montana.When he was born, his mom took him to a nursing home because they were not able to take care of him. When he was about 5 years old, he had a nurse that really liked him and would give him things here and there to make him happy.  Whenever Petey met a nurse or someone and he or the nurse had to go or they moved on to another job, Petey would be devastated! As years go on, Petey is about 70 years old when the put him in assistant living. A nurse took him outside one day to get fresh air and next to the assistant living place is a school. There was snow on the ground then and a boy came up and threw a snowball at Petey. A little boy saw that happen and he felt really bad. The boy was 12 years old and did not have very many friends.The boy was new in Montana so he did not know much about where he was either. He came up to Petey and from then on, he came to visit Petey every day. One day the boy took Petey fishing. Petey is in a wheel chair so he cant do many physical things. That is the day that the boy really considered Petey his best friend. Petey's wheel chair was really old and was falling apart. So the little boy made something happen so that they could get a new wheelchair for him. Later on in the story Petey goes and meets old nurses and connects with them more also. Find out what happens in the end of the story...

My favorite part in this book is when they go and help Petey get a new wheelchair. I also really liked the quote because Petey always liked the memories that he made with people. I really liked this book. I had to read it for Peer Tutor and I am glad I picked it. I think who would like this book is if you were into those kind of books that u read something and it would change you. There is not much action or mystery in this book. It is just about someone helping someone but is more extreme than just helping someone.

The style of the book is a lot of little things. that is kind of dislike about the book is because I think they should put more in with Petey and the boy and not so much of how long Petey was in the hospital. The book is more serious than anything. It talks about how Petey struggles so I don't think it is anything else but that. It does explain good about the place and setting. I actually go to Bozmen Montana every summer so it was fun for me to see what they did and had there back then. The "voice" of the author is unique because there is so much detail in everything there is to the book. This book is very unique to the other ones i have read! Because writing about someone with a disability I think is very unique.    

2 comments:

  1. I really liked your book review. It sounds like a really touching story. You did a great job at making connections. I liked how you used your word choice like " from then on, he came to visit Petey every day." This is a very good book review

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to read books that help us develop more compassion. Some of the best books I've read are on the peer tutor book list.

    ReplyDelete