Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Annexed


Annexed by Sharon Dogar is the story made famous by Anne Frank, but from Peter's point of view. This is a fictional story since we don't have a written record of Peter's feelings. Peter's family joined the Franks in hiding during WWII. At the beginning of the story Peter is very sad because he saw his girlfriend Liese and her family being taken right before his family goes into hiding. He misses her and regrets not doing something to stop it from happening. Peter is unhappy about hiding and sulks in his room, however he enjoys being in attic by himself with his cat. At first Anne really bugs him, but later he learns to enjoy her company and really like her. While talking to Anne Peter said, "I like the idea of being responsible for my actions, not the whole race's. Is that so wrong?" This shows how Peter feels about being Jewish during the Holocaust. The Franks, the Van Pels, and Dr. Pfeffer live in hiding for two years and two months before they are captured and sent to the camps.

You would like this book if you enjoyed the story about Anne Frank and want to read the story from a different point of view, or even if you're curious about the Holocaust. I enjoyed reading this story, but I was bothered reading a fictional book about a real person who really didn't live that long ago. We're not really sure what he thought or what he said because he didn't keep a diary like Anne. Sadly I suppose there isn't any family left to prove otherwise.

2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way about the fictionalization, but I was glad to have the book to give to boys who were interested in the Anne story but couldn't make it through her diary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started to read The Diary of Anne Frank but I couldn't get in to it enough to want to finish it. I may start this one and see if I like it any better. I think it would be good for me to mix up my reading a little bit and go with this fiction book since I usually read realistic fiction.

    ReplyDelete