Monday, November 15, 2010

Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac


Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac is an novel about a teenager named Naomi. Naomi (Nomi) who had been adopted after being found in a typewriter case in Russia by people who traveled, wrote books about where they traveled, and took pictures of them.

Nomi, now the co-editor (Her friend Will was the other) of the school newspaper, began to take pictures too for the newspaper and the yearbook. When Will and her were arguing over which one of them needed to go back to the office to get the camera, they decided to settle this with a coin toss. Naomi as heads and Will as tails. Naomi ended up having to go back for it and as she was coming back out of the building she fell down the stairs, hitting her head making her forget everything past 6th grade.

I really thought this book was amazing even though i don't really go for the "it could happen one way or another" type books. But this was a book i couldn't put down. I think if you like ANY kind of book you will like this. I know I did and i didn't think I would.

"Above all mine is a love story. And like most love stories, this one involves chance, gravity, a dash of head trauma. It began with a coin toss. The coin came up tails; I was heads. Had it gone my way, there might not be a story at all. Just a chapter or a sentence in a book whose greater theme had yet to be determined. Maybe this chapter would have had the faintest whisper of love about it, but maybe not. Sometimes a girls needs to lose." The page before "I was"

Granted this may be a love story but its not a mushy gushy "You are my soul mate" story. It's better then a love story...

2 comments:

  1. It's an interesting premise--amnesia. I have always wondered if someone would change because that person doesn't remember their past, or would they essentially stay the same. I guess I'll need to read the book to see what this author decided to do. You chose a wonderful quote; it's very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a book I would like to read. It sounds like the realistic fiction kind of book that I read. The cover is really intriguing which is the first thing I look at when I start a book. I am really excited to find this book and start reading it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete