Tuesday, May 12, 2015

        Elizabeth Smart: My Story 

             My story is about a young girl named Elizabeth Smart, who was taken from her 
home in the middle of the night. She was living in Salt Lake City, Utah, and was part of a tight knitted mormon family. This book is an autobiography written by Elizabeth Smart herself. My story describes the pain she and her family endured during her kidnapping.

    The people in the real story are Elizabeth, Brian David Mitchell, Wanda Barzee, and Elizabeths close, but not so close family. Elizabeth was a nice 14 year old girl, who liked to play the harp, be with her friends, and have fun times with her extended family. Brian David Mitchell~the man who stole Elizabeth out of her home~ claims he is the prophet of god, and has been commanded to take upon 7 wives to descend below all things. Wanda Barzee~according to Mitchell~ is the Mother of Zion. Brian has taken sweet Elizabeth out of her home, so she can descend below all things~which what really means to go against everything god has asked of them~ to become more god like. This Book contains what Elizabeth had to go through, including being hungry, being raped, and being forced to drink alcoholic drinks, smoke, and do drugs.

  I did not make many connections to this book, because I have never been taken from my home and had horrible things done to me. But one thing that I connected with, was Elizabeth remembering her family BBQ's. I love having dinner with my family and playing with my older and younger cousins. I felt bad for Elizabeth because she couldn't have them for such a long time, and thought that they would never happen again for her. I could not imagine that because I love to get together with my family and spend time with them. 

  My favorite quote from this book was when Elizabeth got rescued. It is from one of the police officers that help save Elizabeth. "Are you Elizabeth Smart? Because if you are, your family has missed you so much since you were gone! They want you back. They love you. They want you to come home." I love this quote because Elizabeth thought that she was never going to be able to live through what was happening to her, and this quote shows that she endured through all of it. 

  I loved this book. At times is got very scary, but I knew that she would be al right. This book got me on the edge of my seat, and kept me reading until midnight. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to know about Elizabeth, and what her story is. 



   

No comments:

Post a Comment