Friday, March 15, 2013

Ender's Game

  Ender's Game
by: Orson Scott Card

Ender Wiggin is the only one brilliant enough to save mankind.  He is smart, he is a ruthless tactician, and he is only six years old.

In this science fiction novel,  alien "Buggers" are at war with Earth. Military officials see only one way to come out of this conflict victorious, which is to use Ender Wiggin to command an offensive army against the Buggers.  It is a desperate gamble, but for Earth, these are desperate times.  Ender will be enlisted into battle school, and his commanding officers have high hopes for him.  But will Ender be willing to play their game?

“I don't care if I pass your test, I don't care if I follow your rules. If you can cheat, so can I. I won't let you beat me unfairly - I'll beat you unfairly first."
 -Ender Wiggin
This is one of my favorite lines said by Ender in this book.  It shows how beaten down and broken he has been after his long journey to become what the world wants him to be.  I think it applies to all of us in that the world's image and expectations of us can be very cruel, and that scrambling to live up to that standard can be destructive to our character. The theme of this novel is loss of innocence.  Ender and his friends are put up to some frightening tests.  Their trials rob them of their childhood, yet they allow these children to reach their full potential.

I quite liked this book, and I would recommend it to everyone who enjoys great science fictional literature. I would suggest this book to only those who are twelve years old and older because of some of the more adult ideas.  You definitely need to read this novel!


12 comments:

  1. This is definitely a classic in science fiction. I've heard rumors that it's going to be made into a movie which would be interesting. I haven't seen this book cover before which I really like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book looks amazing. You wrote this really well and I really want to read it. It sounds very interesting. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is sad that he is only six years old, yet he has to go to a battle school. It seems like the world is depending on Ender, a six year old, and his friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THAT SOUNDS SO COOL! I think every boy has played army in his life but, now we can read about a real boy in a real army! I love science fiction, and am very excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a really great book to read. I've been bored with no book to read for a while so this might help me with that! It also sounds really intense and epic. It also sort of sounds like a book called Artemis Fowl and he is really smart and young too. I liked that series and I'll probably like this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love science fiction books and it sounds amazing. You did a really good job on how you explained it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Read the book and loved it. Can't wait for the movie to come out. If it is half as good as the book it will make top of charts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way you started your post about how Ender is the only one to save Earth. It sounds like a very good book I should read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard about this book from siblings and they really enjoyed it. This book sounds interesting and fun. I will hope to read this book in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have herd about this book all i have herd from friends are only positive feed back but no negative comments about this book i should give it a try and see were it takes me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this book so much! I read it a while ago, but it was so good! Has anybody read the rest of the series? Wondering if they are as good as the first book....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this book sounds excellent! I have heard about this particular book but have never know what it is about. I think it is interesting that a six year old was chosen to help save the earth! Ill have to pick it up sometime!

    ReplyDelete