Monday, December 17, 2012

Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson

 
 "I released the handle and the bucket splashed, a distant sound. Mother says, Matilda, Polly's dead."
 This book is a historical fictional by Laurie Halse Anderson about the Yellow Fever epidemic.

The main character is Matilda, her grand father, and her mother. Matilda's father died when he broke his neck, leaving his wife to care for the coffee shop.Matilda's mother is a head strong, crazy hard worker and only will do things her way. Matilda is a laid back tired girl or so it seems! As her family goes through the challenges of the fever epidemic it will bring out the best AND the worst in people.

I really like the way that this author writes. The style keeps you drawn in and it is exiting.It is from the point of view of Matilda and it is interesting to her her thoughts and that is why I like books a lot because you can "read" there minds. Some of the time I wished that I could hear other people's thoughts because then you would understand more.

I recommend this book. You should not judge it because it is a historical fiction because it is really good and it makes you laugh, cry, and rejoice. I recommend it for people who have strong stomach because it can get a little bit gross. It was really good and it gets to the end and then you wonder is there more.



6 comments:

  1. I like how you included that you like to be able to "read" the characters minds. I agree, although, sometimes it can be fun to think for them, and decide what you think they may be thinking. But i love your opinion and I totally agree. This summary was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so cool. I kinda want to read it now! I love your quote, "I released the handle and the bucket splashed, a distant sound. Mother says, Matilda, Polly's dead. It gave me chills reading that. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be scary have your dad die, and it would be stressful to have your mom doing all the work. Great review. Really interested in reading this book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this book and it was awesome. I liked it a lot better than Chains, which is by the same author. I agree with Rachel, don't judge it because it is a historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently read this book and I thought it was really descriptive and good! Matilda is a great character that was always strong!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This review is very well thought out and fun to read. I think it is good to not be afraid of historical fiction, and I liked how you pointed that out. I will definitely watch out for this book!

    ReplyDelete