Thursday, March 5, 2015

Counting By Sevens - Hadley Peay





Counting By Sevens

By Holly Sloan


Did you enjoy Palacio’s Wonder or Out of my Mind by Draper? If so, you will love Counting By 7’s.

Counting by 7’s is a stunning realistic fiction by Holly Sloan. The book is about twelve-year old kid genius, Willow Chance. She is an only child who loves all sorts of plants, the color red and diagnosing medical conditions of people she sees. She claims to have only one best friend, who moved away. Her life is turned upside-down when her beloved adoptive parents die in a car crash. She has no family and nowhere to go. Can Willow find a new home and overcome her parents death?

“The correlation between expectation and delivery of desire could no doubt be quantified into some kind of mathematical formula.”


I love this quote because it shows how main character, Willow Chance thinks. It gives you a glimpse into her mind and into her world. It also shows how smart she is, and what kinds of words she uses.

I had a text-to-text connection to this book. It has a similar plot to Out of my Mind and Wonder. During these books you live inside of a character's mind. You listen to their despairs and their hopes. These books also have the common characteristic that the main character does not fit in, or belong. I have had friends who have lost loved ones and I know the recovery process is hard, but Willow Chance has one way to do it.

I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone. It is such an inspirational, funny and wraps the story together so well. I would also recommend this book to those who have lost a loved one. How Willow recovers from the death of her beloved parents is unbelievable and it brings inspiration to all.




7 comments:

  1. Thank you for doing a review on this book! Many people have recommended this book to me, but with little information, I have been hesitant. I liked the quote that you added to the passage, and you wrote it very beautifully! I will definitely look into this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this book sounds cool. I would love to read it some time. I am excited to read more! I too loved the quote from this book. It is beautiful. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved this book. It teaches a great lesson. I love the way the author makes you feel like you are there in the story. I wanted to help comfort the main character. I am glad I did battle of the books so that I could read this book again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds very interesting... I love books about quite geniuses, who we (normal people) don't even know are there! Sounds like a good book, with a good moral. I haven't read any other of the books, but this one sounds like a go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've really wanted to read this book! It reminds me of If I Stay, and I've heard it has a great storyline and an inspiring message!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this book! It is one of my new favorites. My favorite part is when the family decided to adopt her into their family. I was so happy that she had a real home again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this book! It is one of my new favorites. My favorite part is when the family decided to adopt her into their family. I was so happy that she had a real home again.

    ReplyDelete