Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Way We Fall

"Most people think the scariest thing is knowing that you're going to die. It's not. Its knowing that you might have to watch every single person you've ever loved - or even liked - waste away while you just stand there." 
Kaelyn has enough troubles already. Her best friend just left to go to his dream college, her brother Drew seems to be becoming more distant, her mom has started working night shifts at the gas station, and her dad seems to be spending more time at the hospital than he does at home. 
And then it all changes. Kaelyn goes over to Rachel's house one day to work on a school project when all of a sudden Rachel's father comes out and starts hugging everyone, babbling like a baby about who knows what. Although she's a little bit stunned, Kaelyn thinks nothing of it. That is, until her father tells her that Rachel's dad died the next day.
"It starts with an itch you just can't shake. Then comes a fever and a tickle in your throat. A few days later, you'll be babbling your secrets and chatting with strangers like they're old friends. Three more, and the paranoid hallucinations kick in. And then you're dead."

What starts out as a single case soon turns into a full epidemic. Within a few weeks, the whole island gets quarantined. Will Kaelyn be able to protect herself from the virus while trying to save those she cares about the most?

I really enjoyed reading this book. I liked the way the Megan Crewe wrote it as a journal that Kaelyn kept during the epidemic. I was able to make a good connection to this book because right before I started reading it, I had watched the movie Contagion. Like The Way We Fall, Contagion is about a virus that sparks an epidemic. Although it isn't a happy story, I really liked the idea behind it. The Way We Fall is an extremely good book that I would highly recommend to all.
-Natalie Freeze

5 comments:

  1. This book sounds very exciting, and cool. I see some girls in this school and think they have this epidemic. I have been looking for a good book for a few weeks and I have finally found it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the concept of this book. I just love those books when you think, "How did anyone ever come up with this?" This seems really cool and different. Personally I think it's okay when a book isn't all happy, it's a nice change once in awhile. I'll definitely put this on my 'To Read' list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing as I don't read a lot of books about a deadly disease and such, this sounds very exciting and I would like to read it, I mean, Who doesn't want to read about a disease that people just can't stop talking nonsense? This book sounds very interesting and fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scary premise. I used to read a lot of Robin Cook stories which often involved medical type mysteries or plagues. Living through that kind of event would be horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THAT SOUNDS EXCITING! I have read a book about disease but it is in older times it will be cool to know how they try to cure it with modern technology! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete