Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Help



   "What does it feel like to raise a white child when your own child is at home being taken care of by someone else?"


         Katherine Stockett's historical fiction novel and hit movie, The Help, is definitely a novel that grabs your heart! You want to root for just about every character! It is based on what civil rights were like in the South during the 1960's.

         Aibileen Clark was just your average help. She did everything Mrs. Leefolt wanted, steered clear of trouble, and took care of Mrs. Leefolt's beloved baby, Mae Mobely. One day, Miss Skeeter, Mrs. Leefolt's best friend, comes back from Ole Miss only to upset the balance. Skeeter, an aspiring writer/journalist wants to find out the truth behind black society and being the Help. The first to confess reality, despite the fact that it could lead to trouble, was Aibileen. She told Skeeter everything from bus rides, church, her own son she hardly ever had time with, and being Mrs. Leefolt's help. Many of the other maids in Aibileen's community wondered how she could have possibly done this, she could potentially end up in jail! Dismissing their confusions, soon others joined in the what was to soon be Skeeter's book about the help. Boy did they have a lot to say? By doing this, many old friendships, jobs, and new friendships hung in the balance. These were changing times and everyone wanted to be a part of it.

     What I really took away from this historical fiction novel was the theme. I think Stockett is trying to express through writing that there really shouldn't be any segregation between races. She wants us to all be equal and express ourselves. We must always stand up for ourselves. It truly is an inspiring novel.

      I strongly recommend this book! If you like a little humor, history, and inspiring stories you would love this book! The Help contains so many characters you just want to root for the whole way through your reading. Stockett tells you what life was like for blacks and whites and what would happen if they got mixed. She explains very historically accurate. I couldn't put it down! Stockett leaves you wondering what will be said by the help or the white society girls next! 

9 comments:

  1. This story sounds very interesting. There is always to sides to a story, and this book sounds like it tells the side of the African-Americans during the Civil Rights Movement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is a good read, it talks about the Civil Rights Movement, and that it doesn't matter what race you are. In this book you want everyone to succeed. This is a truly inspirational book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched the movie first ( i know, i know, shame on me )and thought the movie was AMAZING!! That can only mean that the book is ten times better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the book. Loved the movie. Even though it's fiction, sadly I'm sure that it's not too far away from the truth of what it would have been to be an African American maid in the South.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read this book and it is wonderful! I love how you talk about how you want to root for all of the characters because it is so true. You want them all to succeed, even the mean people, because Kathryn Stockett writes this book, and describes everyone and thing so excellently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of the best books I have ever read. I can't imagine what it would be like to be a maid in the south.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was in the middle of the book when I saw the movie. I didn't finish the book because I had seen the movie but I will have to finish it some time. The end of the movie was awesome and I hope the book is the same way. I really like how it portrays what the African Americans thought through the civil right movement. Even thought its fiction it gives you the feel of how they felt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds great, I could never imagine the feeling that someone else is doing to your own child that you are doing right at that moment. I have heard this book is good, and now I might just try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like a great book. I haven't read it or seen the movie, but it looks amazing. I love learning about the Civil Rights Movement and this is what the book is all about. I think I'm going to read it now.

    ReplyDelete