Thursday, January 31, 2013

Paranormalcy


Kiersten White's Paranormalcy is a gripping, funny tale about love, dreams, and "mythical" creatures, with the end of the world as a possible outcome. 

Faerie ex-boyfriend? Shape shifters? Vampires? A mermaid for a best friend? At the International Paranormal Containment Agency, these things are nothing out of the ordinary. From the time she was a child, 16-year-old Evie has had the ability to see through glamours. Someone who might seem normal could be a werewolf, vampire, or  a shape-shifter. Her job is to go out into the world to find those paranormals and bring them back. But now, she finds dead paranormals with a mysterious glowing hand print. Her dreams are filled with mysterious prophesies. Could her strange ability be linked to the deaths?

I love the style this book is written in! Evie's funny, sarcastic voice does a great job of lightening up an intense scene. This strong heroine shows her style! White is one of the best authors I've seen for teen fiction. The ending scene can only be described as "epic." This hilarious urban fantasy will have you laughing at every page.

I liked this book because there is no profanity or swearing. Evie, the book's protagonist, is a strong female that is easy to root for. In this book, there is also romance for the lovers. If you like zombies, werewolves, vampires, mermaids, or other creatures of the night, then this is the book for you! I end this review with a hope that you will love this book as much as I love it. In the words of Evie: "Have a bleep bleep day!"

7 comments:

  1. I also loved Evie--the way she talks and her attitude in general. I was at a class where we got to talk to Kiersten White via Skype. She's hilarious so I can see how she wrote these books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a cool book. My favorite types of books are fantasy and puzzle books I guess you would call them. Like strategy kind of books like Artemis Fowl, things like that. IF any of you have read that book it's really cool and clever and lots of things you don't see coming. I don't know if it's like your book but yours sounds cool too. Artemis Fowl has mythical creatures in it also and it's really well thought out and you have to read through the entire book to get it, well the entire series I should say. I usually only read books that are in series because I don't want them to end as fast as others. I might read your book. If it is for boys of course....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had a lot of friends recommend Paranormalcy for me to read, but I have never gotten around to it. From your book review though, I think I just might have to! Great job! One question though, is this book part of a series? I usually want to wait for a sequel to come out before I read the first one so I don't have to wait until the next book! Also, is this book super fantasy-ish? I love science fiction, but am not to fond of unicorns and fairies and all that stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book was really cute. Kiersten White has a funny writing style that I love. Evie says "Bleep" instead of swearing.It was awesome how Evie fights Vampires, Werewolves, and other fantasy monsters. You won't regret reading this book, and the entire series is already out so you won't have to endure the agony of waiting months and months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of this book before, and many people have told me to read it, but I've just never gotten to it. It sounds so interesting! I love books with humor. I especially loved the part when you were talking about how Evie lightens up a very intense scene with her humor. I think I might just read this the next time I get the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a really interesting book! I love books with magic and mythical creatures! Have you ever read Artemis Fowl? This book sounds a lot like that series! This book seems really entertaining and funny, I will have to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a really good book. I read books like this all the time and love it! I really love any book that has some romance in it and it makes it better that their is magic in it too. I will have to read it some time.

    ReplyDelete