Tuesday, November 27, 2012

I read the book "Blood on the River" by Elisa Carbone.
Blood on the River is about these
settlers from Europe that settle in Virginia in 1607. They want to find gold in Virginia and that's a reason the settlers are there. The main characters are Captain smith, Samuel, and Reverent Hunt. They board a ship to travel to Jamestown in Virginia. There is a dangerous thing about settling in Jamestown. The Natives. That has become a very dangerous thing about settling in Jamestown, the Natives feel threatened by the settlers, and feel the need to wipe them out. The settlers don't know what hit them. The Natives attack and pick off the settlers one by one. The settlers start to diminish. There aren't very many left after all the attacks. They need a way to have a peace with the Natives. So Captain John Smith takes a risk and trades with the Natives to make a peace treaty. As the book goes on the peace treaty goes on. You'll have to read the book to find out what happens next! My thoughts on this book is excellent I loved it. The age range is around 6th grade and up. My favorite quote is from Captain John smite. "You don't work you don't eat." My connection is to Samuel. He doesn't have any friends at the beginning but makes them by being nice. That's like with me when I moved here to Utah. I had to make friends by stepping up and being nice and also talking to them. 






7 comments:

  1. that book sounds very interesting and very historical. i might try reading this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book in History at the beginning of the year and thought it was very interesting. I thought one of the most interesting parts was when caption smith was captured.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds awesome! I actually haven't had to read it for a class yet but I'm sure i will, and I'm looking forward to it. i also really liked your connection with Samuel. i feel the exact same way. when i moved up here to Suncrest and had to go to Timberline Middle i had to make new friends, because before i had lived in another part of Utah! nice review i really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this a couple of months ago. It helped me learn a lot of Jamestown, and made me appreciate our country's first settlers more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this book in history and really liked it. It taught me so much about history and the past. Great book review and connection! I would also recommend this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ive read this book, and I really liked it. I liked the characters, and how they described where they were at, and what they were feeling. I would reccommend this book to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this book in history and thought it was really good. I think this book helped me a lot about Jamestown. I think this was a really good review.

    ReplyDelete