Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Simon Bloom: Gravity Keeper

Simon Bloom: Gravity Keeper
Written by Michael Reisman
       Simon, a boy with a very energetic, imaginative mind, is drawn into Dunkerhook Woods - a hidden, magical place that no one has ever noticed before. A mysterious book falls out of the sky and onto Simon's head. This book, the Teacher's Edition of Physics, lets him control the laws of physics. Simon and his friends - the shy and easily scared Owen, and popular Alysha - have fun with formulas (special words that let them control things like gravity and friction). But (as is usually the case) there are villains like the wickedly powerful Sirabetta (with her formula tattoos) who want to steal the Book. On top of that, the people who own similar books controlling different aspects of science (i.e. Biology, Astronomy, Chemistry, etc.) think that Simon stole the book! 
       The main character (of course) is Simon Bloom. He's an 11-year old sort-of-nerd (but not really). His two friends, Alysha (who is a little stuck-up at first), and Owen (who's shy and talks really fast), are main characters as well. The Narrator plays a major role in the story, as he is an actual person and not just a magical cloud! The Villain is Sirabetta, who uses magical tattoos to block formulas! My Favorite Character is Simon, because he's relatable and funny as well as smart.
       I'd recommend this book to anybody who
1. Enjoys Books without a Lot of Romance (because this seriously has none).
2. Enjoys Books that mix information with a lot of action (there's a lot of fights, with a bunch of awesome facts in between).
3. Enjoys Math, Science, English, or History (because they're really hip and cool nerds)!
       “Curiosity is a good thing, like onion soup. But too much onion soup makes your breath smell terrible. And too much curiosity can make your whole body smell terrible, if it causes you to be dead. ” This quote is a great one to describe this book because it tells about one of the central themes in the book: Be careful where you go poking around and what you get yourself into. It also shows the book's humor which is mixed in to make it absolutely amazing!

7 comments:

  1. This sounds like a amazing book. A lot of people really don't like physics. I know I don't like them. This book it sounds like the author takes something that people hate and puts a twist on it to make it more interesting. I would love to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too don't like physics. But this book seems really cool. I think would try this book out. I love action and adventure books and this book seems to have a lot of that. Thanks for the book review I would like to try this book out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book seems really cool I might half to read it now. I really books that have something interesting and controlling gravity seems cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is something that I would love to read. It sounds really cool that these friends could do things like this with formulas. Anything that can tie in science and Physics without being really boring sounds really fun

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds Awesome! I love books that mix adventure with sciencey type stuff. Science is my favorite class, so i will definitely try reading this book. Thank you for this review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not the type of person to read a book about physics. But being able to control them? That would be a fun book to read! Bening able to put yourself into the main characters position, would be a great way to get into it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love physics and the way they work. I have always dreamed and thought of controlling gravity. Imagine the speed you could get up to!! I also really enjoy science and different things. Call me a science whiz if you will. This book sounds amazing and I am really excited to read it!!

    ReplyDelete