Friday, April 12, 2013

Wildwood by Colin Meloy

Prue Mckeel is a girl that lives a simple life. That is until her brother gets taken away by a murder of crows under her supervision. They take Mac to the "Impassable Wilderness." Prue decides it is her duty to get her brother from what is in the unexplored woods. While on her way, she is followed by Curtis, an acquaintance from school. When in the woods they get separated from one another. Prue is led to a village where the people that are high in the government stay in, and animals and stores are at. Curtis on the other hand was taken away by coyotes and, unknowingly, became allies with one of the most evil people in the woods. Alexandra.

They find animals that talk, bandits, Alexandra who is evil in some eyes and a queen in others, and on top of all this, the government is after Prue for saying that Alexandra would try to come back to be the ruler of everybody. This means she has police officers, coyotes and other talking animals trying to pull her many different ways.

“As she walked, she breathed a quick benediction to the patron saint of sleuthing. 'Nancy Drew,' she whispered, 'be with me now." This quote is what Prue, the main character has said on her adventure, and I chose to talk about it because it kind of shows that this book is slightly adventure, mystery, but also talks a lot about how important it is to be around friends and family, and how they uplift and help you in hard times when you feel all alone.

The setting in Wildwood starts in Portland Oregon which is rainy and green. It then follows Prue into Wildwood which is a forest in some parts that if very thick with trees and plants and in the other parts there are pretty buildings the are cute shops, and small classic homes. the colors are teal, browns, golds, and orangy pink, which I just loved!

I really enjoyed this book once I got into it. It was slightly hard to get into, but once you do, you will feel very rewarded. It was very exciting and had a lot of plot twists. I would say people above the age of nine years old would be the best to read this because it is kind of hard to get into, but a very good read!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for reading a different book. I think you picked a wonderful quote, and I liked your explanation. My question--what ever happened to the brother?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading different books like this. You never see very many of those. I think if I could get through the slow start I'd really love it ;D Loved the quote. Great review!

    ReplyDelete