Sunday, April 14, 2013

Les Miserables


 Les Miserables
by: Victor Hugo


 A battle between virtues Mercy and Justice has just begun.  But in France's 
post-revolutionary era, which will come out on top?

It's 1815 in a revolutionized France.  The French revolution got rid of the king, but another mighty ruler once again reigns over France.  The lower classes are suffering.  The people are angry.
There is an uprising on the horizon.  

Jean Valjean, a man convicted for steeling a loaf of bread, has finished his time in prison.  It has been 19 years since he has breathed the air of a free man.  Valjean is given his yellow ticket of parole, which offers him little freedom.  If he does not follow the scheduled itinerary outlined in his parole, he will be thrown back into prison.  He is a broken man who has learned to love nothing.  It greatly affects him when a bishop reaches out to him in kindness.  Valjean is shown a new side of life and becomes very successful.  But his past seems to follow him wherever he goes.  Will he escape the clutches of the ruthless Javert, who has every intention to banish Valjean to a life behind bars?  Will he find love?  What will happen to those few of France who still wish to defend their rights?


“Before him he saw two roads, both equally straight; but he did see two; and that terrified him--he who had never in his life known anything but one straight line. And, bitter anguish, these two roads were contradictory.”

This is just one of the many profound quotes that can be found in this book.  This particular one is referring to the police officer Javert. For all of his life, Javert has only known justice.  He sees the world in a very black and white manner.  But then he is shown mercy, and he is not able to understand it.  The idea torments him, and becomes his undoing.  I think this quote relates to us because it describes how a new way of thinking can be very frightening.  There are times when we may only be able to see one way to go, and when that veil is lifted, it can almost be too much to comprehend.

I really loved reading this book.  I am an avid fan of the musical, and reading the book really added to the story line.  There are so many interesting twists and turns that were not included in the musical or movie, so if you are a fan of either of these renditions, read the book!  I recommend this story to anyone who enjoys historical fiction and is a great reader because the language can get kind of tricky. This is a novel that everyone needs to read before they die!




6 comments:

  1. I have never seen the movie (because my mom insists that we read the book first) but now I really want to read the book! If you see the movie first, you may love it, but the book will be ten thousand times better! Way to conquer that fat book Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story! It's such a great tale of redemption. I read an abridged version of the book, so I missed out on 500+ pages. Wonderful classic and musical adaptation; I thoroughly enjoyed the movie also (except for Russell Crowe's lack of singing ability).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen the play Les Mis at Lone Peak but I haven't read the book or seen the movie. It seems really good and I might've missed out on some parts in the book that aren't in the play.I will have to give it a try! Great summary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always loved this story. I have seen the movie and the Broadway plays and it is by far my favorite. As much as I love it, I have never wanted to read the book it seems to long but now I am for sure going to read it! It looks amazing. Good job Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the story, and want to read all the different things that happen in the musical. I really liked your quote and how wonderfully you explained it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the movie and the musical! I can't believe that you read the book! I tried to read it once but it was so long that I gave up. It would be nice to know the whole storyline though.

    ReplyDelete