Thursday, March 15, 2012

Cinder and Ella 
   by Melissa Lemon



"If you drink water and breathe air, then you have heard the story of Cinderella. And, if you drink water and breathe air, you have heard it....wrong." 
  This mixed up fairy tale of adventure and love by Melissa Lemon, is about the family that lives in the cottage of Willow Top. Katrina, Beatrice, Cinder, Ella, their mother (Adela) and their father (Weston). One day, the evil Prince comes to visit and speaks words of deception to Weston, who shortly after goes crazy and abandons his family. This causes great sorrow to the rest of the family and changes them.
   Adela also goes insane and spends her day in the corner of the cottage spinning thread, never stopping for anything. Katrina becomes a stuck up brat obsessed with her appearance. Beatrice becomes spoiled rotten by Cinder, and can no longer function on her own. Cinder, is the only kind one left of the family, trying to hold everyone together. And Ella is all but forgotten. All the others ignore her, and forget she's even alive, except Cinder. The two become branded as one, Cinderella.
   When Cinder accepts a job in the castle, Ella is greatly saddened and runs away. She finally finds happiness when a knight, with order from the Prince, takes her away from it all.
"Sometimes, things come to you whether you go looking for them or not – danger, disaster… love.”  I'll let you figure out who she falls in love with (;
  I really enjoyed this book. Melissa Lemon is an amazing author. She explains everything so well, I felt like I was really there, experiencing everything just as Ella did. This book has just the right touch of adventure, danger, evil, and love. I would recommend this book to anyone (boy or girl) that likes fairy tales mixed in medieval times.

12 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to see if we have this one, if not I need to order it. The first quote really makes you interested in the story. There are so many great books that are a retelling of a fairy tale. It's usually something I enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mrs. Wagstaff, the quote at the beginning really caught my attention! I haven't read a lot of books in this genre, but it sounds like it could be very fascinating. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely want to read this! Cinderella has always been one of my favorite princesses and I always love re-tellings of her story. This sounds like it has a good twist in it and I would probably really enjoy it:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that sounds like it would be fun to read. I love types of authors that explain very well and it is so good to know what is going on in the book as well. I love fantasy books with all the magic there is in the story. It just makes it way better than a plain old book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I really liked this review that you posted for this book. But, the only thing is that you didn't really explain who Ella was. Other then that I really think this book sounds mysterious and it looks like a great book to read. Thanks again for posting this wonderful book review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a really cute book! Definitely want to find time to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when authors retell a famous story. One of my favorites is the "Real Story of the Big Bad Wolf". I think this book will be fun to read because it gives the reader a twist, and a new way to think about a fairy-tale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love the twist on the two names. It sounds a lot different than the original format. Which in my perspective is great!I think I would enjoy reading this book so I will be sure to read it when I get the time. I like fairy-tales, especially when it is twisted in some different way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like completely opposite of the other storys of cinderella. i definately want to read this book because i love adventure and romance and this book sounds like it has that all swept into one.

    P.S. ki really liked the first line of your review

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like a exciting book. I would have fun reading this book. I like reading books with fun twists.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know that there have been a lot of different versions of Cinderella, but not only does this one include the ugly and belligerant sisters, but there are two people to make up the fair maiden (as other versions portray her as one).
    This review was very well written, and I love the quote you used. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a very cool book. I think that you could have explained it a little more but I get the idea. I don't read a lot of books with fantasy themes but I do like turns in the story. Really good book review

    ReplyDelete