Thursday, January 29, 2015

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

     "Even in the future, the story begins with Once Upon a Time..." In Marissa Meyer's first book of Sci-Fi series, the Lunar Chronicles, there is a page-turning story of love and adventure in the first book, Cinder.

     Miss Linh Cinder of New Beijing is a talented mechanic with an unknown past, and some interesting qualities. She is a cyborg. This story is based on the classic fairy tale of Cinderella. Cinder is hated by her step-mother, Adri, and is completely blamed for the unexpected illness of her step-sister. One day at the market, her life becomes unintentionally entwined with the handsome Prince Kai, claiming that he needs an android repaired for simple reasons of his own. Cinder suspects it's more serious then he is letting on, but obliges to his needs. Not soon after, she finds herself stuck in the middle of an intergalactic struggle of war and peace, and having to choose between loyalty and betrayal. As Cinder begins to uncover the mysteries of her past, she realizes that she must take action to save the fate of her world.

    The characters of this story are one of the many factors that make this book all worthwhile.
Cinder: She is the main character to this story. Cinder is sarcastic, a good mechanic, and is constantly trying to hide her cyborg parts. "I'm sure I'll feel much more grateful when I find a guy who thinks complex wiring in a girl is a turn-on.” -Cinder
Prince Kaito: The prince is the royal heart-throb of New Beijing. He tries to find the humor in everything, though is weighed down by responsibility. "Lines drawn into his face suggested he had spent many years thinking very hard over very difficult problems.” -Cinder
Dr. Erland: The Dr. is a lunar fugitive who works in the palace, frantically trying to find a cure to the deathly plague of Letumosis. "Imagine there was a cure, but finding it would cost you everything. It would completely ruin your life. What would you do?” -Dr. Erland
Linh Peony: She is Cinder's step-sister and friend. She has an ever-growing obsession of the Prince Kai, but catches the plague of letumosis early in the book.
Linh Pearl: She is the second sister of Cinder, and is much less friendly. She is constantly degrading Cinder, and also has an obsession for the Prince. "I'm going to tell him all about your ugly metal extremities and how much of an embarrassment you are -- and what a disgusting creature they turned you into. I'm going to make sure he also realizes how much more desirable I am."  -Pearl, talking to Cinder.
Linh Adri: She is the 'evil' step-mother of the story. She blames Cinder for all of her life hardships, and is constantly pointing out to Cinder of her cyborg qualities. "Do your kind even know what love is? Can you feel anything at all, or is it just... programmed?” -Adri, talking to Cinder.
Iko: Cinder's android and one of her only friends. She has a hilarious personality, and just like the rest of New Beijing, has an enormous obsession over Prince Kai. "Prince Kai! Check my fan, I think I'm overheating." -Iko
Queen Levana: The cruel ruler and Queen of Luna, a moon colony. She is not above using terrorism and violence to obtain power, and she uses a powerful glamour to make people oblige to her every need. She is most likely based off the evil queen in Snow White. “That you prefer to rule through fear rather than justice? So sorry, Your Majesty, I’m afraid I already knew that about you.”-Kai, talking to Levana.
Emperor Rikan: The Father of Prince Kai, and the Emperor of New Bejing, who dies of letumosis. "The emperors eyes crinkled at their corners. He was not an old man, but the illness had aged him quickly. His complexion was yellow and pallid, and black and red splotches stippled his neck." -Kai, describing the appearance of his father.

     This book is definitely at the top of my favorites list. I recommend this to anyone who likes a good adventure with some drama, humor, and little bit of romance. If that doesn't sound like you, I suggest you read it anyway, because it will surprise you. You will especially like this book if you enjoyed Matched, Crossed, or Reached by Ally Condie. I couldn't put this book down, and it kept me on the edge of my seat until the very last page.

By: Olivia Purles

3 comments:

  1. At first I had a hard time because Cinder is a cyborg--knowing it's a Cinderella story with a robot was difficult to relate to. However, the character grew on me and the plot was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this book. It was kind of hard to get into, but after we got into the story, it made me want to read more. I couldn't put it down. I think it was a very well written book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved how in this book Cinder was very sarcastic and how she used very long words for her sarcasm. I loved this book and after the first 3 chapters, I was hooked.

    ReplyDelete